Kory Helgens is the owner of Spring Run Design based out of Marion, Iowa which creates handcrafted woodworking pieces and is also a outdoor lifestyle apparel brand. The creation of Spring Run Designs is a unique story centered around two actual storms, one which began Kory’s woodworking career, and another bolt of lightning which could have ended his life but instead launched a part of the business.
Recommended Books – The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. We’ve teamed up with Audible to bring you a 30 day free trial and 2 free audiobooks like this one! Cancel at anytime and keep your books forever.
- Spring Run Design creates spoons, cheese boards, canoe paddles and other unique woodworking items as well as an outdoor apparel line including shirts, hats, beanies and coffee mugs.
- Kory finds all of the wood he uses from local fallen trees and fallen barns. Each piece he creates includes a tag of where the wood was sourced. The first pieces he used to learn woodworking came from his family farm after a storm downed over 60 trees.
- Spring Run Design is a “no waste facility” and uses saw dust for things such as fire-starter kits and small left over cuts for items such as rings.
- Kory credits a major failure, 6 of his first tables cracking in the winter, for shifting and growing the business and starting the apparel line. His decision was finalized after being in a lightning strike in Colorado.
- Kory’s advice… “Don’t be afraid to take risks. If you want to accomplish something you have to learn to take risks. Don’t be afraid to take those risks and put yourself out there. Just be confident in yourself.”